Runaways on Hulu: Season 1 Preview
Hulu’s first exclusive Marvel series is coming in November and will be based on one of the oldest Marvel comics. We’re here to preview what you can expect from the first season plus we’ll have a release schedule below too.
Remarkably, Hulu is very light when it comes to Marvel series with only the spinoff series of Agents of SHIELD appearing on the service. It used to carry Agent Carter but Runaways looks to change things up and put the streaming service up against Netflix who has their exclusive Defenders series.
Here’s everything you need to know about season 1 of Runaways:
What is Runaways and what is it about?
Based on the comic books which first debuted back in 2003, the series will take on the story keeping most of the story intact. A group of teenagers all discover their parents are villains in disguise, they decide to leave their homes together and look to do good in the world. In total, four volumes of the comics were produced before ending back in 2015.
Who is behind the show?
Josh Swartz and Stephanie Savage are the two showrunners. Josh is known for his time on the teen drama The O.C as well as being involved in Gossip Girl in addition to co-creating NBC’s Chuck, all of which are now finished. Josh worked alongside Stephanie on The O.C and Gossip Girl so you if you like those series, you’ll likely feel familiarity when watching Runaways.
Who’s starring in Runaways?
Most of the cast for Runaways are debuts but there are a few stars in here which you may recognize. Heartthrob Gregg Sulkin will be known from his work on Faking It plus you’ll also likely know Kevin Weisman’s face from Alias or Scorpion.
Here’s a full cast list and who they’re playing in Runaways:
- Gregg Sulkin as Chase Stein
- Kevin Weisman as Dale Yorkes
- Allegra Acosta as Molly Hernandez
- Ariel Barer as Gert Yorkes
- Brigid Brannagh as Stacey Yorkes
- Ever Carradine as Janet Stein
- Rhenzy Feliz as Alex Wilder
- Virginia Gardner as Karolina Dean
When will season 1 of Runaways be on Hulu?
Unlike other streaming services who drop all their episodes at once, Hulu elects to release their titles week to week. Season 1, which begins with the pilot episode will air on November 21st and then continue for ten weeks with a break likely around Christmas. That means new episodes will arrive on Tuesdays.
Everything else you need to know:
- Tamara Becher serves as the writer for the show who was notably a writer on the Iron Fist series on Netflix.
- The show does have some overlap with the Doctor Strange movie.
- The show operated on the working title of Rugrats
- Runaways was originally going to be a movie in Marvel’s phase 4